Massage helps normalize blood circulation and improve tissue trophism. Used as adjunctive therapy for many diseases. Is it possible to massage the feet with varicose veins, and what rules should be followed?
In which cases massage is prescribed for varicose veins
Varicose veins are a vascular disease in which the walls of the veins stretch and thin. Increased blood circulation and massage movements in some cases can only worsen the course of the disease. Such a procedure is especially contraindicated in the later stages of varicose veins.
With a mild form of vasodilation, it is permissible to perform a therapeutic massage, which aims to stimulate blood flow. It should only be performed by a specialist and in a more careful manner than a healthy person.
Massage therapy complements and does not replace the main treatment. The procedure is performed in stages, observing the execution technique.
How does massage work?
Foot massage for varicose veins makes it possible to achieve:
- Good blood circulation in the affected area.
- Restore soft tissue trophism and improve nutrient uptake.
- Strengthening limb muscles.
- Increased vascular tone.
- Reducing leg fatigue and tension.
- Bleeding and reduction of edema.
Physical effects are often combined with folk remedies.
In order for varicose vein massage to give the desired effect, you need to prepare properly for it. It is recommended that you comply with the following conditions:
- The optimal time for the procedure is breakfast. It is better if this happens after therapeutic exercises, when the muscles are already warmed up and ready for physical action.
- The movements should be light and not painful.
- Before the massage, the patient should lie down for 10 minutes with the legs raised to reduce swelling of the lower extremities.
- Exclude the presence of hypertension, fever, worsening of an allergic reaction.
There are several techniques that help achieve a massage effect. Some of them use special massages or devices, while others use only manual action.
The procedure is performed using a strong pressure of water from the shower. The water temperature should be warm. It is advisable to use contrast when switching from a warm environment to a cold environment. Shedding occurs smoothly, from the bottom up.
Special jars for this type of procedure can be purchased at a pharmacy or medical store. Cup massage is otherwise called vacuum. This technique is allowed for the prevention of varicose veins or in the first stage of venous dilation. With severe pathology, it is impossible to use the banks, as strong pressure can damage the already fragile vessel wall.
The result is achieved through a vacuum effect that stimulates blood circulation in the selected area. This technique is also very popular to fight cellulite and edema, as it effectively removes blockage, pain and normalizes metabolic processes.
If the doctor has allowed such a massage for varicose veins, it is easy to do it at home. To do this, the skin is smeared with Vaseline, with the help of a heated cotton swab, air is removed from the cans and placed on the problem area.
Suitable for the treatment of the initial stages of varicose veins. At home, it can be performed only after the doctor has shown the correct technique of execution.
Stages of self-massage:
- The patient is seated. One leg is straight, the other is bent at the knee.
- The limb is heated with a gentle stroke from the bottom up. Movements along the entire limb should be continuous. Perform 5 repetitions.
- Cook problem areas with your fingers. The pressure should not be strong. The movements are repeated until the appearance of redness of the skin and the feeling of warmth.
- At the end of the procedure, you should shake your leg several times. After that, the massage is performed on the second limb.
Many videos describe in detail the massage technique for varicose veins at home. In addition, hirudotherapy and folk remedies are popular among patients.
Every massage technique has an anti-cellulite effect. However, massage for varicose veins of the lower extremities may not involve strong pressure and stroke. Lymphatic drainage and honey techniques will be optimal.
Lymphatic drainage is performed only by qualified personnel using special medical equipment. The healing effect is achieved by changing the air pressure in the problem area. Many modern clinics use the LPG massage technique to combat spider veins, edema and varicose veins. The therapeutic effect lasts for several months.
Honey massage helps to improve tissue trophism mainly due to the beneficial properties of honey. It is also recommended here to reduce the strength, however, the nutrients of the product will help to significantly increase the result of the procedure. Honey massage is allowed if the execution technique does not contradict the basic rules of procedure.
Exotic massages (Thai, Japanese and Tibetan techniques) for varicose veins are not recommended.
It is permissible to massage the feet directly or with the help of a varicose vein massage. In this case, the foot should be free of edema. The massage is performed with light stroking movements without tightening and active rubbing. Before that, it is advisable to take a warm foot bath.
Characteristics of classic massage
Massage is known as an effective method to fight many diseases.
Positive results of the procedure are confirmed by traditional medicine and Ayurveda.
A qualified massage therapist is able to give a person strength and improve his well-being without the use of medication.
The classic technique is considered to be gentle movement that captures a large area of skin and muscle tissue. The power of action increases slightly in the middle of the procedure, and by the end of the procedure it gradually decreases to nothing.
The main rule of classical massage is that movements should be performed from the periphery to the lymph node. The technique starts with warming the body, and then moves on to treating the problem areas. Stages of the procedure: shaking, rubbing, kneading, shaking.
With the appearance of varicose veins or the expansion of deep veins, all phases should be performed more carefully and with minimal force.
On the Internet, you can find many videos of classic massage for different parts of the human body.
Is it possible to do a massage for varicose veins yourself? The patient should be aware that improper execution technique or concomitant diseases can lead to serious complications. The following conditions are considered contraindications for massage:
- Increased body temperature.
- Inflammatory processes.
- Infectious diseases.
- Presence of open trophic ulcers.
- Worsening of allergic reactions.
Only a doctor can authorize the massage after a visual examination of the patient and an evaluation of the results of his tests. This is especially true for pregnant patients.
The following recommendations will help prevent venous insufficiency and vascular problems:
- Monitor your weight. A sharp decrease in body weight indicates a lack of nutrients and negatively affects the condition of blood vessels. Obesity, on the other hand, is dangerous because it creates a constantly increasing load on the veins and provokes a loss of their strength and elasticity.
- Avoid repetitive behavior. If you are sitting, take regular breaks and walk.
- Women should wear comfortable shoes. According to doctors' recommendations, the heel should not be higher than 5 cm.
- Get enough vitamins and drink at least 1. 5 liters of water a day.
- Do not delay to go to the doctor. A heavy feeling and discomfort in the groin or limbs are the first symptoms of vascular problems.
Before buying a foot massager for varicose veins, you should consult a specialist. The doctor will tell you if it is possible to massage for varicose veins, and will also recommend the optimal technique. It is quite easy to improve vascular health in the early stages of the disease.
You can watch a video tutorial on how to massage your feet with varicose veins or not self-medicate but sign up for a session at a specialized clinic. Experienced specialists will perform the required procedure correctly and safely, preferably using modern electric massages.